Saturday, February 19, 2011

Parenting: "I can't because I feel bad"

So, I was in the store today and this mom was getting fabric at the counter and speaking to lady about her 2 year old kid. She caught my attention because I was looking at fabric and her daughter SCREAMED at the top of her lungs and the mom asked the lady "what can I do to make my kid listen." The mom said that she has tried everything and even would squirt water in her daughter's face but she would just laugh.

The fabric worker lady told her she needs to tell her daughter what she is doing wrong and do something like Time Out of something of that sort but the key is to be CONSISTENT because that will help the daughter to stop screaming and everything. My favorite is that the mother said she didn't want to do that because she "felt bad" and didn't want to hurt her daughter's feelings.

I told this story to Chris when I got back and said I hope we are able to discipline and teach our future kids. Discipline is different for every family but I hope that we don't feel bad to tell our kids 'no' at times when we need to correct behavior. When kids do learn to get their way, especially at 2, they can turn really bratty which I hope we don't allow our kids to be.

2 comments:

  1. What a story! I've learned so much about how I want to discipline my kids just working with so many of them! I agree with the consistency. Don't worry though...you guys will be great parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mom did not feel bad squirting her daughter in the face with water, interesting. 2 is the best age, I love 2 year olds. Talking to them and explaining why and having the consequences fit the actions worked well for us. AND a lot of trusting the Lord. Good luck when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I read every single one and thank you for stopping by.